Situated in one of the world’s cleanest oceans, Mauritius offers investment opportunities in:
- lagoon cage culture with a production range of 300 to 500 tonnes per production unit,
- offshore lagoon cage culture with an approximate production capacity of 2,000 tonnes per production unit,
- inland aquaculture farms,
- tuna ranching & fattening in cages and
- hi-tech production techniques such as aqua pods.
A list of species, already pre-approved by the Ministry of Fisheries, is available in the Aquaculture Master Plan 2007.
Attractiveness of Mauritius
- Mauritius has preferential market access for its seafood products to the European market through a partial EPA, the US market under the AGOA as well as COMESA and SADC countries.
- 20 sites for aquaculture projects earmarked
- Total production from marine aquaculture: 500 tonnes